Sculpture for sale

The Susanna Fountain 1916

Black granite
Height approx. 220 cm


Grand Prix winner at the Paris Exposition in 1925. 

In the middle of a sunken ornamental pool on the upper terrace of Millesgården, stands a key work by Carl Milles, the Susanna Fountain. The sculpture is hewn from one solid block of black granite in the compact style with smooth surfaces and soft contours that is characteristic of Carl Milles' work from this period. The granite is from Glimåkra in southern Sweden. Many of Carl Milles' sculptures are placed in fountains or pools, and Milles was often inspired by stories from the Bible, astrology or Greek mythology.

God Father on the rainbow 1945-49

Bronze
Height approx. 300 cm


Sketch for never-realised monument outside the UN Building, New York. 

In the late 1940s, Carl Milles made a sketch for a sculpture of God standing on a rainbow, fastening stars to the firmament? or perhaps removing them from it? At the foot of the rainbow a small angel is throwing the stars, one by one, to God himself.

The sculpture was originally intended as a fountain, and was to be placed outside the UN Building in New York, but the plans were never carried out. In 1995, the original idea was realised by one of Milles' students, Marshall Fredericks, who enlarged the sketch and made a full-scale version of the fountain at Nacka Strand, the inlet to Stockholm from the Baltic Sea. Here, the jets of water from the sculpture complete the impression of a semicircular arch. On the crest of this arch stands God.

Hand of God 1949-53

Bronze
Height approx. 300 cm


A small man is standing on a large hand. He is looking upwards and his body is tense, with fingers splayed. The man is balancing on the index finger and thumb of the large hand, a feat that seems difficult enough in itself, but his exertion is of another nature. He is gazing with rapt attention at something in the sky, as though he were receiving a message or taking part in a dialogue.

Carl Milles worked on The Hand of God from 1949 to 1953. This was one of three major commissions he received in the 1950s and completed before his death in 1955. The original was made for the Swedish city of Eskilstuna, and today it can also be seen in other places around the world, for instance in Tokyo, Melbourne and Beijing.
We use cookies to enable a better user experience.